Now in its fourth year, The Responsible Finance & Investment Summit (RFI Summit) is an initiative of the RFI Foundation and Swiss Arab Network to build awareness of shared values that can bring socially responsible investing (SRI), environmental, social and governance (ESG) and Islamic finance together to increase their positive impact. This Responsible Finance & Investment Summit brings together key stakeholders within responsible finance to build connections to new growth opportunities and more measurable impact. The RFI Summit will play a vital role in connecting representatives from across the responsible finance industry to build on the growing cooperation between SRI, ESG and Islamic finance.
A NEW SRI: Can Sustainable, Responsible & Islamic Finance Deliver More Impact Together?
29 April 2019
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Now in its fourth year, The Responsible Finance & Investment Summit (RFI Summit) is an initiative of the RFI Foundation and Swiss Arab Network to build awareness of shared values that can bring socially responsible investing (SRI), environmental, social and governance (ESG) and Islamic finance together to increase their positive impact.
This Responsible Finance & Investment Summit brings together key stakeholders within responsible finance to build connections to new growth opportunities and more measurable impact. The RFI Summit will play a vital role in connecting representatives from across the responsible finance industry to build on the growing cooperation between SRI, ESG and Islamic finance.
Strategic philanthropy and Islamic finance
Strategic Philanthropy Partner
The roundtable will bring together leading humanitarian, development and Islamic finance organisations for a discussion about how Islamic financial institutions can become more strategic with their philanthropy. It will also include discussion about how humanitarian organisations can work cooperatively to more effectively and efficiently using the participatory and inclusive model of Islamic social finance to improve outcomes.
Through their commercial operations, Islamic financial institutions generate significant funds for charitable purpose including zakat, CSR, and impermissible income that must be distributed to charitable causes. For many institutions, these funds have historically been distributed in a relatively ad hoc basis, missing an opportunity for them to act as strategic philanthropists and increase their positive impact.
The outcome of the roundtable will be a set of recommendations by the participants to improve the allocation, distribution and impact created by philanthropic giving by Islamic financial institutions. These recommendations will be presented during the RFI Summit 2019 for discussion during the ‘unconference’ session.
28 April 2019 | 13:30 – 16:30
The CDIT Initiative emerged from a series of roundtables held as part of RFI Summit 2018. We announced publicly the progress on September 20th, during the third Value Based Investors and the SDGs conference organized by the Banco de la Nación Argentina on the sidelines of the G20.
The CDIT Initiative will provide financial institutions with the ability to prove their commitment to responsible finance. It will allow stakeholders interested in the financial sector’s activity to promote transparency and accountability. It will provide a publicly-available database to coalesce all of the diverse practices used across the responsible finance industry.
The outcome of the roundtable will be a set of recommendations by the participants to promote interlinkages between the growth of responsible finance in the region and how it can catalyze further development in responsible FinTech. These recommendations will be presented during the RFI Summit 2019 for discussion during the ‘unconference’ session.
You must be registered for the RFI Summit to request an invitation for the RFI Summit Roundtables. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
RFI Summit 2019
8:00 - 8:50 Registration & coffee
8:50 Welcome remarks
Blake Goud, CEO, RFI Foundation
Mounir Khouzami, Executive Board Member, Chairman of the Advisory Board and Co-Founder, Swiss Arab Network
Thomas Hirschi, Banking & Insurance Executive Director, Financial Services Regulatory Authority, Abu Dhabi Global Market
9:20 Keynote address – Why do we need A New SRI (Sustainable, Responsible & Islamic)?
H.R.H. Princess Sarah Zeid, Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
H.H. Sheikh Dr. Abdulaziz Al-Nuaimi, the ‘Green Sheikh’
10:00 Panel 1: Risk management in a changing world: The financial implications of unsustainable finance
- Moderator: Dr Cornelia Meyer, Chairman & CEO, MRL Corporation
- Mustafa Adil, Head of Islamic Finance, Refinitiv
- Dr. Erich Becker, Managing Partner, Exergy Capital
- Niall Hannigan, Chief Financial Officer, Masdar
- Inge Relph, Executive Director, Global Choices
10:45 Case studies – Responsible Finance Champions (Group 1 - Banking)
- Moderator: Amal Daraghmeh Masri, CEO, Ougarit Group & Editor-in-Chief and Founder at Middle East Business News
- Société Générale
Richad Soundardjee, Group Chief Regional Officer, Middle East
Deia Markova, Positive Impact Finance
- CIMB Islamic
Rafe Haneef, CEO
11:45 Support Disruption for Good Challenge – Using technology to help financial institutions deliver economic, social and environmental good
Sponsored by DDCAP Group
12:45 Case studies – Responsible finance champions (Group 2 – Asset Management & Capital Markets)
- Moderator: Jessica Robinson, Founder & Managing Director, Moxie Future
- Christian Guckel, Chief Risk Officer, SEDCO Capital
- Béatrice Delperdange, Head of Business Development, KOIS Invest
- Ramya Gopalan, Global Innovation Coordinator and Alternative Financing Lead, International Federation of Red Cross/Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)
13:35 Lunch break and prayers
14:30 Unconference – What barriers do we face to transforming responsible finance and how can technology, Islamic finance and Islamic social finance help make the transformation a reality?
Moderator: Daud Vicary Abdullah, Trustee, RFI Foundation & Managing Director, DVA Consulting Sdn Bhd
15:15 Conclusions & Looking Ahead
15:30 Summit Concludes
Responsible Investment & Finance Summit 2019 participants will be active participants in the Summit in a way that enhances knowledge, builds relationships and promotes engagement. Here are a fewimportant reasons to attend the RFI Summit 2019:
- Become a part of the pioneering initiative to connect Islamic finance and ESG together to make the responsible finance industry more impactful.
- Learn from the global thoughts leaders in responsible and Islamic finance about the new trends in the industry.
- Be the first to learn about initiatives from policy makers and regulators in the industry.
- Meet 200 other senior professionals in the industry who are interested in expanding connections within responsible finance markets in the Middle East, Africa and Asia.
- Learn about new initiatives using technology to drive impact in responsible finance through the Support Disruption for Good Challenge which will recognize new leaders in enabling responsible finance.
- Become a part of the critical conversations with a global audience via the social media and engage with others in the responsible finance industry.
- Have the opportunity to interact directly with thought leaders in panel discussions and in an open format where you can shape the way forward.
In addition to the board of trustees of the RFI Foundation, the summit will be attended by:
- International business leaders in the responsible and Islamic finance industry
- Dignitaries, policy makers, regulators and representatives of international organizations
- CIOs, economists, strategists, business specialists and professionals, mid-level management, business development managers, analysts.
- Leaders in rating, accounting and professional services
- Global thought leaders and experts in research
- Lawyers and legal experts
- Professors, academics and journalists